June 14, 2016

Spicy, Sweet and Sour Cucumbers


I love cucumbers. I love them in just about any way you can imagine. I love them in this Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream Dill Dressing. I love using them as a vehicle for dips like hummus or guacamole. I love them in salads and tucked into sandwiches. I love them made into these Creamy Cucumber Cups. The fact that the are so light and crunchy and refreshing and have so little calories... how could one not love them? Yum!




I had a bunch of baby cucumbers that needed to be used and I wanted to do something new with them. I love spicy/sweet/tangy together and so this recipe was born. Totally off the top of my head, using things I had in the pantry already. They were devoured within a day by the kids and I. I keep a container in the fridge all the time now. They make a great side dish or a delicious little snack anytime. They are wonderful on a burger or added to a salad, too. They taste amazing in as little as an hour in the fridge after being put together, but they really shine after a day marinating. I hope you'll give them a try and let me know what you think.

Spicy, Sweet and Sour Cucumbers

Ingredients:
10 mini or 2 large English cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch planks
1 small red onion minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 cup minced roasted red peppers (I cheated and used jarred peppers)
2 cups white vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
Sesame seeds (for a little sumthin-sumthin when serving)

Method:
1: In a small saucepan combine vinegar, sugar, and jalapenos.
2: Simmer vinegar, sugar and jalapenos over medium flame for 15 minutes.
3: Cool liquid for 30 minutes.
4: Place cucumber planks, red onion, red pepper into a large container that has a tight sealing lid.
5: Pour vinegar/sugar/jalapeno liquid mixture over cucumber/onion/red peppers and mix well.
6: Seal container and refrigerate at least 1 hour but even better if overnight.
7: Sprinkle with sesame seed to serve, if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.